Sunday, April 20, 2008

The fortune and fame (paying the price for being so ob(li)vious)

It's all here on script
everything anyone has ever said
and the latest installment
I call today
installed disappointment
well that's been this show's theme
this show called My Life
and all of the cheap actors
I call everyone I've ever seen and ever known
and the reason some don't talk to me
is they're just lowpaid extras
but nothing comes extra for me
everything is just a small dose of a small dose
I'm asking for a few more lines to get by
cuz there's just a feeling in the air
that the audience has begun to not care
this story's going nowhere
and rumors of a cancellation
circle around my eyes
and crash into my aching ears
this is something no one wants to hear
but today if you turn off your TV
what does that mean for me?
it means I'll still be alive
but my ratings are dropping rapidly
and I don't see how this can be
I rehearsed every line so heavily
I forgot everything so easily
made up for it by making out with you
which quickly turned into the emergency
head out to the exit doors in this scene
I'm there bleeding on the floor
can't believe I fell for this again
I said I wouldn't anymore
I believed another pretty (tragic) whore
the critics have found every mistake
let's have one more plastic take
another moment that I'm left
here in the floor as a bitter fake
who couldn't find the truth
the eyes of the director
give cold glances that destroy my spine
the chills that he sends through my veins
feel like ice water pouring thin
and all of these episodes
have come to a dramatic, but predictable end
now that this show's over
where do I go cuz I'm not dead yet
Life can end without the body dying too
my soul's on permanent vacation
with all expenses frayed
torn on the sleeves of the American audience
I have become a slave
and saying goodbye right now
would be perfect, but pointless (just like me)
so now that this is over and I'm off the air
like a feather from some bird who doesn't care
say you're sorry or say it's just me
but I've given you this last chance
over and over and over again
it's so discouraging to see
that my enemies were once my friends
this little hot studio in an LA lot
is burning down with all of the film
this show will never make it to
anybody's TV in their bedroom
and now this burning building
will become my well paid off tomb

No comments: