Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Lament of Orpheus: A Letter to Eurydice

Our lives are movies in which we all portray
a character living in a vault who has been betrayed
try to keep the last of myself from ever being frayed
my soul split into pieces that i wish i could trade

this world is not all as it seems to be
we're playing roles that we wish we could flee
i'd tell you everything i hate about this scene
but i can't because you won't listen, it's not that i don't have it in me

if only you had the key to unlock this chains in my chest
i'd make the most of myself and give you all the rest
hibernate like a busy bee living in a honey nest
but even though i do all i can for you, you've never been impressed

this life is so routine, a robot could suffice
wanna dig inside my skin and remove this device
salt the wounds til i feel fine, cool myself on ice
but the worst part of this is my emptiness is your only vice

put me like a moth to the flame
like a sinner with his skin etched by shame
a tattoo inside of you that you cannot change
i have one last shot at you but you're too far out of range

hold me up, i'm falling down
throw me away, let me drown
it's easy for you to stay in this town
you and your army have torches
burning me to the ground

here i am, it's the afterlife
i don't know who i am
while back on earth you rejoice
you couldn't give a damn
carry around your prized knife
that slaughtered this young lamb
the knife that took away my voice
and took away my land

No comments: